Monday, April 4, 2011

Non-Resistance in Katya

          Sandra Birdsell's novel Katya provides interesting fodder for the discussion on non-resistance, especially from a Mennonite perspective. Although non-resistance doesn't seem to be a very apparent theme throughout the novel, acts of non-resistance are preformed that shape the plot in deep ways. One of the most vivid acts of non-resistance is preformed by Katya's father as they are being attacked. Instead of physically fighting back or even immediately fleeing, Peter Vogt attempts to use conversation and reason to distract the killers.
         From a worldly perspective, this didn't work, as he and the majority of his family ended up being violently killed. From a Mennonite perspective, the question of whether his tactics worked or not may be up for a little bit more of a debate. He did die, but he attempted to make peace in the situation and show love to his enemies until the very end. Was this success? I'm not sure -- perhaps I've been trained to view success more as everyone surviving and living happily ever after. Nonetheless, Peter's actions add a lot of complexity to the novel.
       Katya also has trouble throughout the third part of the novel when she thinks about the church and the church's policies. The events in her life have understandably made her more bitter about her traditional religion, and she isn't quite sure if she believes all that the church teaches on non-resistance and loving ones enemies. She even hesitates when thinking about baptism, admitting that becoming a member of the church would also make her become a hypocrite.
       The novel brings up many issues that I think a lot of people in the Mennonite church struggle with. When faced with a violent death or the violent death of a loved one, how far are we supposed to take the teachings of non-violence? It certainly seems more romantic and strong to die for beliefs, but is it practical? I can't say I would know exactly what I would do, but the actions of Katya and Katya's father spark interesting thoughts on what non-resistance and other peaceful teachings of the Mennonite church mean in our individual lives.

1 comment:

  1. Great perspective. You add that you grew up to believe that success means that everyone lives and that there is a happily ever after. You also say that you don't know what you would do in a situation. I think that that is what everyone has to deal with.

    I am not a pacifist and I am not someone that will go out and purposely start fights just for the sake of being in one. I tend to stay in the background until something causes me to fight. In the future, there might be a time when I have to defend my kids or my immediate family. That is when I will fight to protect them.

    Like I said, no one knows what they will do in a situation until they are put in a situation.

    ReplyDelete